WASHINGTON, DC: The United States Federal Communications Commission is moving forward prohibiting the purchase of equipment by U.S. telecommunications networks from Chinese companies considered national security threats, including Huawei and ZTE.
The vote on the purchase, taken Thursday, was unanimous.
The proposal to ban such purchases also provided for the possibility for the FCC to revoke prior authorizations to purchase telecommunications equipment from Chinese companies.
In response to the FCC’s decision, a Huawei spokesperson, in an email, called the FCC’s decision “misguided and needlessly punitive.”
Announcing the decision, Acting FCC President Jessica Rosenworcel said the new measures “would exclude untrusted equipment from our communications networks … So here we are proposing to close that door.”
FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr noted that more than 3,000 requests to ship equipment to the United States from Huawei have been approved by the FCC since 2018.
The FCC’s new action would end the purchase of Huawei communications equipment when it is considered an unacceptable risk to U.S. national security.
In March, the FCC classified five Chinese companies as posing a threat to national security. They included Huawei, ZTE, Hytera Communications, Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology, and Zhejiang Dahua Technology.
Huawei, in response to Thursday’s ruling, said that “blocking the purchase of equipment, on the basis of” predictive judgment “, related to country of origin or brand is unfounded, discriminatory and does not will do nothing to protect the integrity of US communications networks or supply chains. “
The US government previously banned federal agencies from purchasing goods or services from any of the banned Chinese companies.
Additionally, in 2019, the United States placed Huawei, Hikvision, and other companies on their economic blacklist.