UFC 254 has started: prelims are underway and the main event is just around the corner. With the exception of a few latecomers, the fighters have gained weight and we are good to go. At the top of the map is arguably the biggest fight of 2020: a complete banger in every sense of the word. A light unification contest betweenand .
Style wise, this could be the most compelling match of the year.
Learn more about CBS Sports: UFC 254 live updates
In one corner, we have Nurmagomedov: the most dominant champion in UFC history. With a 28-0 record, he lost only one round in his entire MMA career – against– and dominated almost every second he’s been in the octagon.
In the other corner, maybe his nightmare match. Justin Gaethje isn’t just a technical brawler with concrete slabs for his hands (and perhaps the best kicks in MMA), he’s a world-class wrestler as well. The consensus is that Gaethje has a better chance than anyone to keep this fight on his feet and out of the comfort zone of Nurmagomedov – who likes to take down the opponent and destroy him with ground and pound him until he is. sapped of life and energy. If you want more info on this match, you can’t do better than Inside The Octagon with Dan Hardy. Great show, good insight.
If you want a little more information on the fight and the backstory leading up to the contest, I recommend UFC Countdown.
The bottom card of UFC 254 is pretty light, with the exception of one fight: a middleweight fight between former champ Robert Whittaker and Jared Cannonier. This one will be an absolute banger so don’t miss it. Whittaker is one of the best middleweights in the UFC and Cannonier has been a wrecking ball for the past two years. The winner will likely face the current champion, so listen.
How to watch UFC 254
This year, the UFC entered into a new partnership with ESPN. This is great news for the UFC and the expansion of the sport of MMA, but bad news for consumer choice. Especially if you are one of the UFC fans who want to watch UFC live in the USA.
In the US, if you want to know how to watch UFC 254, you’ll only find Fight Night on PPV through ESPN Plus. The cost structure is a bit confusing, but here are the options for watching UFC on ESPN, according to ESPN’s site.
- Existing annual ESPN Plus subscribers can order the next UFC fight for $ 65.
- Existing monthly ESPN Plus subscribers will either be able to upgrade to an annual plan and purchase UFC PPV for $ 85, or purchase the option to watch the UFC event on PPV for $ 65 on their own.
- New ESPN Plus subscribers can purchase a UFC PPV Event Bundle (HD Streaming) and an ESPN Plus Annual Recurring Membership for $ 85. The ESPN Annual ESPN Plus subscription will renew automatically after one year, at the cost of an ESPN Plus Annual subscription at the time of automatic renewal.
You can do all of the above at the link below.
MMA fans in the UK can watch UFC 254 exclusively through BT Sport. There are more options if you live Australia. You can watch UFC 254 via Main Event on Foxtel. You can also watch on the UFC website or by using its app. You can even order using your PlayStation 4 or using the UFC app on your Xbox One.
It’s weird. Normally UFC events have the same start times, this time around it’s absolutely topsy-turvy, so pay close attention to the times below. For those in other regions, the UFC has a great list of start times.
- The main card begins October 24 at 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT).
- Preliminaries begin October 24 at 12 p.m. ET (9 a.m. PT).
- The first preliminaries begin on October 24 at 10:15 a.m. ET (7:15 a.m. PT).
- The main card begins October 24 at 7:00 p.m. BST.
- Preliminaries begin October 24 at 5 p.m. BST.
- The first preliminaries begin on October 24 at 3.15 BST.
- The main card starts October 25 at 5 a.m. AEDT.
- Preliminaries begin on October 25 at 3:00 a.m. AEDT.
- The first preliminaries begin on October 25 at 1:15 a.m. AEDT.
This card is subject to change. We will try to stay up to date as much as possible.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje,
- Robert Whittaker vs. Jared Cannonier
- Alexander Volkov vs. Walt Harris
- Jacob Malhoun vs. Phil Hawes
- Cynthia Calvillo vs. Lauren Murphy
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Ion Cutelaba
- Stefan Struve vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Nathaniel Wood vs. Casey Kenney
- Alex Oliveira vs. Shavkat Rahkmonov
- Da-un Ung vs. Sam Alvey
- Liana Jojua vs. Miranda Maverick
- Joel Alvarez vs. Alexander Yakovlev