This story was originally published and last update .
OxygenOS received a visual overhaul last year with version 11, borrowing some design cues from One UI to improve one-handed use. The OnePlus 7 series was late to the Android 11 party, only receiving the update in March – six months after Google released it for Pixel devices. Despite the wait, there are a lot of new features and improvements in OxygenOS 11, and now the T-Mobile version of the 7 Pro and 7T is getting a share of the action.
T-Mobile didn’t provide a detailed changelog for the update, but it’s safe to assume it’s similar to unlocked versions of the phone, perhaps with a few carrier-specific changes. Here are some of the things you should expect to see (taken from the unlocked changelog):
- Update to version OxygenOS 11
- New visual UI design brings you more comfortable experience with various detail optimizations
- Optimize the stability of certain third-party applications and improve the experience
- Since this is the upgrade to Android 11 version with many new features, the upgrade time may be longer. Please wait for the upgrade to complete
- Updated camera user interface and optimized some of the function paths to provide more convenient operation
- Newly added HEVC codec to reduce video storage size seamlessly, capture and shoot more without compromising on quality
- Newly added access to third-party app to share the image by long-pressing it in the preview
- Newly added quick access to record mode by pressing and holding the shutter button and dragging the button, you can easily zoom in or out
- Newly added time-lapse mode playback display to show the actual duration of the shoot
- Ambient display
- Newly added Insight clock style, a joint creation with the Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data (To set: Settings> Personalization> Clock on ambient display)
- Newly added canvas function which can automatically draw wireframe image based on lock screen photo on your phone （Path: Settings – Personalization – Wallpaper – Canvas – Choose photo preview and it can be generated automatically)
- Dark mode
- Added hot key for dark mode, pull down quick setting to enable
- Support automatic activation of function and customization of time range (path: Settings – Display – Dark mode – Automatically turn on – Automatically activate from sunset to sunrise / Custom time range)
- Play space
- Newly added game toolkit for convenient Fnatic mode switches. You can now choose three notification modes: text only, warning and blocking, just for your immersive gaming experience
- Newly added quick reply function in a small window for Instagram, WhatsApp and Telegram (activate it by swiping down from the top right / left corners of the screen in game mode)
- New contact error prevention function. Activate it, slide your finger from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will appear
- Newly shelf interface design, the interface is more clear
- Added weather widget, smarter animation effect
- Support Story function, automatically form weekly videos with photos and videos in storage
- Optimize gallery loading speed and image preview is faster
T-Mobile doesn’t say what security update is included here, but unlocked models were stuck with the outdated February patch. T-Mobile calls it the “Android 11” update, so I imagine that uses February as well. The OnePlus 7 Pro may be two years old, but having two months up-to-date security is still unacceptable.
Samsung’s Galaxy S9, released over a year before the 7 Pro, received all the fixes a few weeks after release. For a company that tells its customers to ‘never settle in’ and uses quick software updates as its main selling point, it seems like OnePlus 7 users have a lot to do in the security department. If OnePlus wants to charge more money for its devices, it needs to improve support for its older phones.
The update was released on April 9, so it should be available to you now if you’re on T-Mobile.
T-Mobile released the update for the OnePlus 7T today and includes a security patch as well as the upgrade to Android 11. The phone has been stuck on the January patch since February 1, but users can now take advantage of the only slightly newer February patch. rather.