Qualcomm made its new Snapdragon 8 Gen1 platform official, announcing the new SoC at its annual Snapdragon Tech Summit in Maui, Hawaii.
SEE THE GALLERY – 5 IMAGES
The new Snapdragon 8 Gen1 SoC was believed to be made on TSMC’s process node, but in a question-and-answer session, the company’s CEO Christiano Amon announced that the new chip is being made by Samsung on his new 4nm process node.
Alex Katouzian, SVP and general manager of the Mobile, Compute and Infrastructure division of Qualcomm also intervened, saying that the new Snapdragon 8 Gen1 SoC is not manufactured by TSMC. The new Snapdragon 8 Gen1 will be a major competitor to Samsung’s upcoming Exynos 2200, Apple’s new A15 Bionic, and MediaTek’s all-new Dimensity 9000 SoC.
Main features of Snapdragon 8 Gen 1:
- Connectivity: Equipped with the 4th generation Snapdragon X65 5G RF-modem system, the new Snapdragon 8 is the most advanced 5G mobile platform and the world’s first 5G-RF modem solution to achieve download speeds of 10 gigabits. Snapdragon 8 features the Qualcomm® FastConnect ™ 6900 mobile connectivity system supporting the fastest Wi-Fi speeds available, up to 3.6 Gbps over Wi-Fi 6 and 6E, to keep your devices running smoothly. games and apps, even with multiple devices on the same network.
- Camera: This new premium mobile platform takes smartphone photography beyond the pro. Snapdragon Sight ™ technology features the world’s first commercial 18-bit mobile ISP, capturing over 4000 times more camera data than its predecessor for extreme dynamic range, color and sharpness at staggering speeds of up to 3.2 gigapixels per second. It is also the first 8K HDR video capture on a mobile platform and it is capable of capturing in the premium HDR10 + format which contains over a billion color shades. The video will be even more stunning thanks to the new Bokeh engine which adds beautiful soft backgrounds to the videos; it’s like Portrait mode for video capture. Snapdragon 8 also includes a fourth separate ISP, the new Always-On ISP, which allows the camera to operate with extremely low power consumption so that users can benefit from permanent face unlock and lock if your face is not present for increased confidentiality.
- AI: The 7th generation Qualcomm AI engine is equipped with the high-performance and efficient Qualcomm® Hexagon ™ processor, with a tensor accelerator twice as fast and shared memory twice as large as its predecessor. Users can capture professional-quality images with the intelligently integrated Leica Leitz Look filters, recreating their legendary bokeh effect. Hugging Face’s latest AI-based natural language processing can smartly serve as a personal assistant in prioritizing and analyzing your notifications. Together with Sonde Health, we use AI on the device to accelerate their models which can analyze a user’s voice patterns to determine if a user is at risk for health issues such as asthma, depression. and COVID-19. In addition, a new always-on AI system is powered by the 3rd generation Qualcomm® detection hub with more data streams processed using the weakest AI.
- Games: With over 50 Snapdragon Elite Gaming features, Snapdragon 8 delivers ultra-smooth responsiveness, color-rich HDR scenes at the highest visual quality, and desktop-grade capabilities that are mobile firsts. The new Qualcomm® Adreno ™ GPU offers a 30% increase in graphics rendering capabilities and a 25% improvement in power savings over the previous generation to unlock a new generation of mobile GPUs. The platform offers, Adreno Frame Motion Engine can generate twice as many images while maintaining the same power consumption. Another mobile-first feature is Variable Rate Shading Pro, which provides finer control for game developers to further fine-tune game performance. Desktop-level volumetric rendering brings unparalleled realism to fog, smoke, and smoke effects. particles that have been optimized for mobiles by Qualcomm Technologies’ in-house Snapdragon studios.
- Ring: Users can experience a new class of crisp, crystal-clear voice and music with built-in Bluetooth 5.2 and Snapdragon Sound ™ technology, now featuring Qualcomm® aptX ™ Lossless technology for CD-quality lossless wireless audio. It is the first Snapdragon mobile platform to support all new LE audio features such as audio streaming, stereo recording, and voice return channel for games.
- Security: Snapdragon 8 has vault-type security to help protect user data. It is the first Snapdragon platform to offer a dedicated trust management engine to achieve increased security and provide additional root of trust for applications and services. Snapdragon 8 is also the world’s first mobile platform to feature Android Ready SE, the new standard for digital car keys, driver’s licenses, and more. In addition, the Qualcomm® Secure Processing Unit supports iSIM, a built-in SIM card that allows users to easily and securely connect to cellular networks without a SIM card.