CHICAGO–(BUSINESS WIRE) – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. will showcase its high-end diagnostic imaging solutions in ultrasound, digital radiography and mobile computed tomography at the 2020 Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) from November 29 to December 5.
“This year has been a pivotal year for Samsung in implementing new solutions in various areas. We look forward to showcasing our advancements in ultrasound, digital radiography and mobile CT scans, ”said Yongkwan Kim, Head of Healthcare and Medical Equipment at Samsung Electronics and CEO of Samsung Medison. “Our innovative solutions demonstrate Samsung’s commitment to leveraging our innovation engine to better meet the needs of healthcare providers and their patients.”
Samsung will showcase the RS85 Prestige, which is designed to deliver exceptional scanning performance with consistent image clarity, depth of penetration and sensitivity to blood flow perfusion to enhance abdominal and breast examination functionality. Importantly, the RS85 Prestige provides real-time images to clinicians, which is essential in ultrasound.
- EzHRI ™ helps diagnose fatty livers by showing the degree of fatty liver after analyzing ultrasound images and comparing the brightness level of the automatically selected location of the liver parenchyma and renal cortex.
- TAI ™ (Tissue Attenuation Imaging), TSI ™ (Tissue dispersion distribution imaging) provide a quantitative measure of tissue attenuation and a measure of tissue diffusion distribution to assess steatotic changes in the liver.
- LA2-14A is an S-Vue Transducer ™ with monocrystalline technology, providing clear distinction in images of anatomical structures based on high SNR and deep penetration. As a single crystal transducer added to high resolution imaging technology, Crystal Architecture ™, images useful for diagnosing thyroid and breast tumors as well as MSK tendon disorders.
Additional features provide simplified workflow and accurate diagnostics:
- S-Detect ™ simplifies breast examination processes by providing selected lesion analysis and a standard report based on BI-RADS ATLAS * (Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System, Atlas).
- S-Shearwave ™ Imaging enables non-invasive assessment of tissue / lesion stiffness in applications such as breast, liver, MSK and prostate, using color-coded elastogram, quantitative measurements, options dual or single display and user selectable ROI functions. It helps in the diagnosis of hepatocirrhosis and tumors.
Samsung introduces its premium digital mobile radiography, the AccE GM85, which delivers unmatched performance by improving diagnostic reliability and workflow. The AccE GM85, powered by a lithium-ion battery, notably demonstrated unprecedented performance during the recent pandemic. The AccE GM85 is suitable for general imaging needs, and its practicality during the COVID-19 pandemic is highlighted by its unique feature set.
- Fast charging and long battery life allows a full charge in four hours and the power to continue all day without the need for additional charging. With Li-ion battery technology, it offers improved stability in wider temperature ranges and its lead-free composition is more environmentally friendly.
- SimGrid ™ Streamlines workflow and reduces total exam time by 28% by omitting installation and removal of the conventional workflow grid.
- S-Vue ™ provides better image quality and significantly reduces radiation dose during exams. The dosage can be reduced by up to 45% for the pediatric abdomen, 15.5% for the pediatric thorax and 27% for pediatric skull exams with the new S-Vue ™ motor.1.
Samsung will introduce two new and improved software options for its line of DR equipment, including:
- Value Up Package 2021, a suite of workflow improvement and diagnostic tools for Samsung DR systems, including an AI algorithm that automatically provides a heads-up view of chest PA / PA; improved S-Align function with information about the angle of the tube and the detector to DICOM; and many other tools to provide better clinical care.
- Mirror view, Wireless real-time screen mirroring to a smart TV or Miracast compatible display for use in an emergency room / trauma or operating room environment.
Featured at RSNA are BodyTom® Elite and OmniTom® – Mobile CT of the whole body and head. These mobile CT scanners can be used at the point of care, whenever imaging is needed to determine the ideal treatment strategy for a patient – without restrictions on physical space and power. Samsung’s NeuroLogica mobile CT scanners are used by many leading institutions in intensive care units, emergency rooms, orthopedics and neurosurgery rooms, brachytherapy suites and ambulances.
In addition, Samsung will present a Photon counting detector (PCD)2 – advanced technology that measures photons emitted by x-rays. PCD, currently in development, has the potential to enable dose optimization, allowing the user to reduce exposure while maintaining quality of the image, or to increase the quality of the image while maintaining the dose equivalence with respect to the CT detectors currently used. The PCD is expected to provide increased data extraction capabilities from multiple energy sensing and help improve the utility and efficiency of AI applications. From there, Samsung works closely with a large teaching hospital in the United States.
Samsung will be hosting three industry sessions during RSNA:
- Featured demonstration on Advanced Imaging Technologies with RS85 Prestige will be held on December 3 from 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT.
- Introducing AI Theater: Application of AI on Device in Healthcare, in collaboration with Intel3, will discuss on-device artificial intelligence solutions that provide real-time feedback on ultrasound images and protect patients’ personal information. As part of this collaboration, Samsung will host an industry session to discuss the differences between Cloud AI and On-Device AI, as well as the importance of ultrasound, which is available on-demand throughout RSNA.
- Innovation theater will demonstrate the performance of automatic pulmonary nodule detection (ALND)4 imaging application on chest x-rays of COVID-19 patients, available upon request throughout the duration of the RSNA.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung is inspiring the world and shaping the future with transformative ideas and technologies. The company is redefining the worlds of televisions, smartphones, portable devices, tablets, digital devices, network and memory systems, LSI system, foundry and LED solutions. For the latest news, please visit the Samsung Newsroom at http://news.samsung.com.
About Samsung Medison
Samsung Medison is a global leader in medical devices, founded in 1985. With a mission to bring the health and well-being of people’s lives, the company manufactures diagnostic ultrasound systems around the world in various fields. medical. In 2011, Samsung Medison became an affiliate of Samsung Electronics, integrating the world’s best computer, image processing, semiconductor and communication technologies into medical devices.
NeuroLogica, the healthcare subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., develops, manufactures and markets innovative imaging technologies and is committed to providing fast, easy and accurate diagnostic solutions to healthcare providers. NeuroLogica, the global headquarters and manufacturer of mobile CT scans, is also the US headquarters for sales, marketing and distribution of all Samsung digital radiography and ultrasound systems. NeuroLogica’s growing portfolio of advanced medical technologies are used worldwide in leading healthcare facilities, helping providers improve patient care, improve patient satisfaction, and increase workflow efficiency. For more information, please visit http://www.NeuroLogica.com.
1 The S-Vue ™ result is based on the results of limited clinical and phantom studies. Only routine chest radiograph and abdominal AP radiography in average adults and pediatric abdominal, thoracic and cranial radiography were studied, excluding pediatric patients less than one month old. (FDA Approved – K172229, K182183) In practice, dose reduction values may vary accordingly.
2 The product is under development and is not available for sale in the United States or any region of the world.
3 Intel, the Intel logo, and other Intel marks are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries.
4 ALND is not available for commercial sale in the United States.