Paris Saint-Germain are already the underdogs against Manchester City tonight – and their chances would only diminish without Kylian Mbappe.
The French champions are trailing 2-1 ahead of the Champions League semi-final second leg at the Etihad, live on talkSPORT, and need to score twice to have a chance to pass.
If these are goals they need, Mbappe is usually the man they rely on more than anyone else.
Despite a quiet night in the first leg, the 22-year-old bolstered his reputation among the best players in the world with an excellent 2020/21 campaign.
With four Ligue 1 titles and a World Cup already under his belt, Mbappe has already recorded 37 goals and ten assists this season in all competitions.
That’s more goals than Tottenham striker Harry Kane, Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes and Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo.
Combined goal and assists (2020/21)
10. Frank Castaneda (FC Sheriff) – 38
9. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) – 38 years old
8. Pasto Daka (RB Salzburg) – 41
7. Bruno Fernandes (Man United) – 42 years old
6. Dusan Tadic (Ajax) – 47
5. Harry Kane (Tottenham) – 47 years old
4. Kylian Mbappe (PSG) – 47 years old
3. Erling Haaland (Dortmund) – 48
2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 50
1. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern) – 51 years old
* Players with more goals are ranked higher if the commitments are equal
Only Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich, Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Erling Haaland of Borussia Dortmund have been involved in more goals than Mbappe this quarter.
As the Frenchman traveled with PSG to Manchester, doubts were raised about his fitness after an apparent injury that ruled him out of the 2-1 win over Lens on Saturday.
However, city boss Pep Guardiola expects him to be present.
“He’s going to play,” Guardiola said on Monday. “I can’t wait for him to play. For football, for the game itself, I hope he can play.