DETROIT – A Michigan prosecutor filed manslaughter charges against the parents of the 15-year-old suspect in the Oxford High School shooting on Friday.
Jennifer and James Crumbley have each been charged with four counts of manslaughter after their son, Ethan, was accused of shooting and shooting four students at the suburban Detroit school on Tuesday.
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald previously called the actions of Crumbley’s parents “way beyond neglect.”
The suspect, a sophomore at a suburban Detroit school, was charged on Wednesday as an adult with murder, terrorism and other crimes in what investigators called a methodical and deliberate massacre.
His father had purchased the Sig Sauer SP 2022 9mm cannon four days before the shooting, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said.
The weapon “appears to have been simply available for free” to Crumbley, McDonald told WJR-AM on Thursday.
“Parents were the only people able to know access to weapons,” she added.
Michigan school shooting suspect faces life in prison: What does murder, terrorism charges mean
McDonald said in another interview this week that additional unpublished evidence in the case was “disturbing” and “disturbing.”
“Unfortunately, he was allowed to return to class,” McDonald told WDIV-TV.
The suspect had been reported twice by school staff for “worrying behavior,” Bouchard said, the first having come the day before the shooting and the second a few hours before. Bouchard said the suspect’s parents were brought to the school around 10 a.m. on the day of the shooting for a meeting with the student and school staff.
Here’s what we know on Friday:
Multitudes of copy threats in Detroit metro trouble schools, parents
Copy threats circulated on social networks and districts canceled classes Thursday out of caution for the safety of students.
A 17-year-old student in Southfield, about 30 miles from Oxford High School, was arrested on Thursday with a semi-automatic pistol. A bomb threat was also issued at South Lake High School, about 45 miles from Oxford, and sparked a police investigation.
“If you make threats, we’ll find you,” Bouchard said at a press conference Thursday that was specifically called to respond to the estimated hundreds of reported copy threats. “It is ridiculous that you are stoking the fears and passion of parents, teachers and the community in the midst of true tragedy.”
The FBI and the Secret Service are also investigating the threats.
People who make bogus threats could face charges of bogus terrorism threat, which is a 20-year felony, and misuse of a phone, McDonald said.
Meanwhile, parents are doing well to keep their children safe without affecting the mental and emotional health of their children.
“I felt like I was going to throw up,” said Jill Dillon, 51, recalling dropping her 14-year-old son off at school Wednesday morning. “It was nauseating to think that I was supposed to take him somewhere safe, and is he really going to be safe?”
David Roden, a 14-year-old freshman at Northville High School who stayed open Thursday, said the confusion between what’s real and what’s not was the scariest part.
“Everyone was on edge. It’s just a little weird being close to the situation,” he said.
Fake Instagram accounts are on the rise
Fake social media accounts claiming to be the 15-year-old indicted in the Oxford High School shooting started popping up even before his name was released by law enforcement, and some have made threats of additional shootings and revenge plans.
While direct threats can lead to criminal charges, the dissemination of false information through deceptive accounts is a common problem following mass shootings, is often not illegal, and sometimes does not violate the terms of service of the media. social media platforms.
“Unfortunately, bad taste is not against the law,” said Michigan State Police Lt. Mike Shaw.
Social media accounts chronicling Crumbley’s alleged criminal activity are unlikely to remain active on these platforms, said Cliff Lampe, a professor in the School of Information at the University of Michigan.
In active threat situations, the social media accounts of alleged perpetrators are deleted through an opaque process, Lampe said. The platforms are alerted either by their own algorithms or by the police.
The tendency of social media platforms to “vanish overnight” certain user accounts may help fuel the creation of these fake accounts, Lampe said. However, the common practice of putting up “sock puppets” online would still happen, he said.
“Sock puppet accounts and fake accounts have been part of Internet culture for almost as long as the Internet has existed,” Lampe said. Read more here.
Contributors: Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press; The Associated Press