The Premier League is set to continue despite rumors of a second domestic lockout next week.
Overnight reports have emerged to suggest England are returning to the same level of restrictions imposed in the spring earlier this year.
Football fans will recall that live sport was one of many industries affected by the nationwide lockdown, with Premier League football taking an involuntary three-month hiatus between March and June.
However, that doesn’t seem to be the case this time around.
Athletic report that top-level football is unlikely to be affected by a second domestic lockout, which is expected to be announced on Monday before going into effect on Wednesday.
Although the situation is ‘quick and unpredictable’ it is understood that the Premier League is confident that football will be allowed to continue in its current format without fans.
“The virus does not spread well outdoors and the close contact time in sports such as football is very short,” one MP said, quoted by The Athletic.
“The Ministry of Culture, Media and Sport appears keen to maintain outdoor sport at all levels.”
It is believed that while COVID-19 surprised the football world earlier this year, it is now in a better position to handle the situation.
While several top players have tested positive for the coronavirus, testing protocols quickly isolated them to prevent further spread, with matches going as planned.
However, the new restrictions are expected to delay the return of supporters to stadiums until at least 2021.
It was hoped that fans could return before Christmas, but The Athletic says fans in stadiums are now off the political agenda until the New Year at the earliest.