People were turned back from Welsh beauty spots on Saturday as police across the country suppressed travel and public gatherings.
Last weekend, the city and city streets were deserted after Boris Johnson announced a massive closure of pubs, restaurants and shops, but dozens of people decided to rush to the sites popular tourist spots in Wales.
This has caused huge crowds at sites like Pen y Fan, Snowdon, Barry Island, Porthcawl and Cardiff’s Roath Park.
Pen y Fan alone saw hundreds of cars lined up on the side of the A470 as people tried to get out of the house and get some fresh air.
However, new guidelines released this week have told people to stay away from these sites as the Wales police force is given new powers to apply government restrictions.
Dyfed-Powys police officers were stationed at Storey Arms in the Brecon Beacons on Saturday morning to check if travel was essential. They even arrested someone from Bristol trying to ride Pen y Fan, telling them to go home immediately.
A force spokesman said: “Traveling to our area from Cardiff, Bristol and Stroud to name a few examples today is not acceptable.
“We have to prevent a repeat from last weekend.”
In Cardiff, police were pictured breaking a football game at the Roath Recreational Ground.
A group of men were seen playing a casual game while other residents were enjoying the fresh air.
In addition to patrolling parts of the country, police are asking parents to take the necessary steps to make sure their children follow the new guidelines. They warned that they now have the power to issue people a £ 60 penalty notice, which will be reduced to £ 30 if they pay the fine within 14 days.
However, if the same person is caught flouting the directions twice, they will then receive a fixed penalty notice of £ 120.
Despite the new measures, some people are still heading to certain places in the hope of making the most of the dry weather over the weekend.
Overall, however, tourist haunts were silent on Saturday, almost unrecognizable from the scenes seen a week ago, and there are now roadside signs with the words “ Stay at home, save of lives, # Covid19 ” with bold letters.
Chief Constable Matt Jukes of the South Wales Police Force said: “The majority of people are already making real sacrifices to save lives and we urge everyone to follow the advice designed to keep us safe.
“We hope the vast majority of our communities will recognize the need to follow the advice and stay at home.
“The South Wales police have a proven track record in maintaining public order and security during major events and in emergencies. We have always done it positively, with pride and professionalism.
“We will continue to do what we do best: engaging with people. We will ask them to support their communities and to stick to these important restrictions.
“As the public would expect, we will also use the new legislation when necessary when people completely disregard the restrictions that have been put in place to save lives.
“The police and other staff you may be talking to in the coming weeks are working to keep you and your family safe. They also have families to return to. “
In West Wales, Dyfed-Powys police officers were on duty on Saturday, carrying out checks throughout the region.
They even went so far as to say that Pembrokeshire is currently “closed” to visitors, after a large number of tourists descended on the county last weekend.
The force said that, despite Prime Minister’s lockdown instructions earlier this week, more than 200 people had received travel “reminders” after continuing to treat parts of West Wales as “ holiday destination ”.
West Wales police said patrols in the past three days had resulted in more than 200 reminders to the public about what is currently “essential travel”.
“We have turned back many caravans and motorhomes whose owners were traveling to Pembrokeshire to isolate themselves,” said Sergeant Hamish Nichols.
“We also spoke to two owners of campsites open to business and gave them strict advice as well as to all holidaymakers.
“While the majority of the local population has taken government directives seriously, too many people seem to think that the rules do not apply to them.
“The message is clear – it is a lock, not a vacation, and anyone who ignores the current restrictions not only puts people’s lives at risk, but also risks taking further action against them.”
Video not available
Patrols of beaches, coastal areas and other public spaces took place on Saturday and will continue over the weekend, with officers also performing increased stop checks on roads in the force area.
“Application is a last resort and officers will always use common sense and discretion in every situation,” added Sergeant Nichols.
“But the powers are now available and we will use them if we have to.”
Meanwhile, in a joint statement, the councils of Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion implored people to stay away from its beauty spots, asking them not to “underestimate the risk of this disease “.
The statement added: “We promise you that Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire will be just as amazing once it is all over and we look forward to the day in the near future when we welcome everyone again.”