It’s amazing the kind of conclusions you can draw from a big pile of data. Take Insurify, which is a site used to compare auto insurance rates. They have a database of over four million auto insurance claims.
After sifting through the numbers, they were able to determine, to some extent, which vehicle models have the safest drivers. They compared all applicants with at least one traffic violation, from accidents to speeding tickets to hit-and-run and more, and compiled a list of vehicles whose owners had the least amount of traffic. ‘offenses.
And the winner for the car with the best drivers award is – * drumbeat * – the Chevy Astro minivan. It wouldn’t have been our first guess, not in a million years. The Astro was a rear-wheel-drive (and later all-wheel-drive) van based on the compact Chevy S-10 pickup platform. It lasted a long time from 1985 to 2005, but was eventually replaced by another GM minivan built on a unibody platform.
- Chevrolet Astro – Percentage of drivers without a file: 86.00%
- Chevrolet Uplander – Percentage of drivers without a record: 85.23%
- Dodge Caravan – Percentage of drivers without a record: 85.04%
- Ford Windstar – Percentage of drivers without a record: 84.76%
- Nissan Quest – Percentage of drivers without a record: 84.56%
- Cadillac Deville – Percentage of drivers without a record: 83.74%
- Toyota Sienna – Percentage of drivers without a record: 83.59%
- Chevrolet Corvette – Percentage of drivers without a record: 83.19%
- Chevrolet Lumina – Percentage of drivers without a record: 82.91%
- Lincoln Navigator – Percentage of drivers without a record: 82.90%
Shockingly, the Astro replacement won the second-highest place on the list of cars with the best drivers. You all remember the Chevy Uplander, right? We would forgive you if you missed it. The Uplander was a downright dismal vehicle produced only for a few years from 2005, just when the Astro was canceled. In addition to Chevrolet, it was designed for almost all GM brands – Buick, Saturn and Pontiac included.
Interestingly, the top 5 places are all occupied by minivans, with the Dodge Caravan, Ford Windstar and Nissan Quest landing in 3, 4 and 5 places respectively. And the Toyota Sienna took seventh place, meaning that vans make up 60% of this list and suggests that having children in the car makes them a very careful driver.
Insurify’s list of the 10 best cars with the best drivers also includes two other Chevys: the Corvette at No.8 and the Lumina midsize sedan at No.9. Another GM product, the Cadillac Deville, appears on the list at 6th place, giving the automaker five places in total. Well done, general.