A Carson City District Court judge ruled on Friday against an attempt by President Donald Trump’s campaign to overturn Nevada’s presidential election results, saying there was not enough evidence to substantiate accusations of fraud.
Judge James Russell issued his order after hearing hours of argument from lawyers representing the campaigns of Trump and President-elect Joe Biden on Thursday.
“The candidates have failed to meet their onus of providing credible and relevant evidence to support any of the grounds set out in (the statute of the Nevada electoral contest) for challenging the general election of November 3, 2020” Russell wrote in closing his 35-page order.
Russell ruled that Trump’s campaign failed to meet the burden of proof, let alone the required “clear and convincing” standard of proof, on one of the four grounds required to overturn an election result : problems with voting material, irregular or illegal votes, embezzlement by electoral commission or modification of election results.
The Nevada Republican Party released a statement Friday afternoon, saying it disagreed with the ruling and would appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court.
“The case and the evidence we presented was overwhelming,” the statement said. “The fight continues for clean and fair elections.”
In its court challenge, the Trump campaign echoed the president’s calls for voter fraud and alleged that Clark County election officials failed to address 40,000 double-voting cases and thousands of other illegal votes from the share of the deceased or voters who do not live in Nevada.
Democrats argued that the challenge failed to identify a single voter who allegedly committed fraud, nor to provide any other evidence to justify overturning the will of the majority of Nevada’s 1.4 million voters.
The large number of alleged election frauds served as fodder for popular social media among Conservatives, but Russell stressed that they did not meet any legal standard.
“The candidates did not prove, by any legal standard of proof, that illegal votes were cast and counted, or that legal votes were not counted at all, due to electoral fraud , nor an amount equal to or greater than 33,596, or an amount sufficient. to raise a reasonable doubt as to the outcome of the election, ”Russell wrote.
He wrote similar denials for each of the Trump campaign’s irregular or illegal ballot requests, saying the challenge also showed no evidence of the tally of deceased voters, problems with verifying the signature of mail-in ballots. , etc.
Russell also found the expert testimony provided by the Trump campaign “to be of little or no value at all,” and he ordered the campaign to pay the financial cost of defending Democrats against the lawsuit.
The electoral “contest,” or challenge, was filed last month by Trump’s proposed presidential voters against Biden’s six voters, who have since been confirmed as Nevada representatives to the Electoral College. The college meets on December 14 to officially vote for the next president.
Nevada certified its election results last week, naming Biden the state winner by 33,596 votes.
Trump’s campaign is attempting similar legal action in other battlefield states across the country, but no judge has yet overturned a state’s presidential competition in his favor. States have until Tuesday to settle any election-related lawsuits.
Nevada State Democratic Party Chairman William McCurdy II said in a statement he hoped the move would allow Republicans to join him and the vast majority of other Americans in coming out of this election. year.
“These continued attacks are not only stopping us from getting through this pandemic, they are dangerous and, if they continue, will cause long-term damage to our democracy,” said McCurdy. “I hope this is the last time a court has to deny Republicans’ attempts to overthrow the will of the Nevadans – this is what our state and our country deserve.
Order granting motion to dismiss Las Vegas Review-Journal’s contest declaration on Scribd