What do you want to know
- Microsoft creates a webpage dedicated to its pending acquisition of Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion.
- The website provides transaction-related updates, quotes and charts.
- The European Commission has a deadline to approve the acquisition or launch a further investigation into the deal by November 8.
Microsoft has dedicated a section of the company’s website solely to information about its upcoming acquisition of Activision Blizzard and explains why the deal would be beneficial for everyone.
The website (opens in a new tab) contains a collection of company updates regarding the acquisition, quotes from Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer and Vice Chairman and President Brad Smith, charts detailing gaming and market revenue history, and a table listing the benefits of the acquisition.
Microsoft says the deal would benefit gamers through “more games on more devices, including Xbox, PlayStation, phones, and online,” and more alternatives to how games are purchased and accessed. The company also says it would benefit game creators with “better revenues and fair market rules” and “greater flexibility in payment systems”, while the gaming industry would benefit from greater competition. with Sony, Nintendo and mobile.
The push for Microsoft to publicly cast Activision Blizzard’s acquisition in a more positive light comes as the deal is currently being reviewed by the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) that the deal would reduce the competition, while the European Commission has until 8 November. to approve the agreement or investigate further.
Microsoft had announced it would acquire Activision Blizzard earlier this year for $68.7 billion and is facing regulatory reviews in several countries. If the deal goes through, Microsoft would gain developers and games under Activision, Blizzard, and King.
This includes major franchises such as World of Warcraft, Candy Crush, and Call of Duty. The acquisition of the latter series was challenged by Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan, who called Microsoft’s agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation platforms “insufficient”.