The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has released the cause and circumstances of death of Lauren Smith-Fields, who was found dead in her Bridgeport apartment last month.
The OCME said she died of “acute poisoning due to the combined effects of fentanyl, promethazine, hydroxyzine and alcohol”. His death is said to be accidental.
Prior to her death, Lauren was a student at Norwalk Community College and had her own business. The family tell NBC Connecticut that they are now reunited with Lauren’s memories more than a month after her death.
His family are outraged and disgusted at the way they say the Bridgeport Police Department handled the investigation.
Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim said the city’s Office of Internal Affairs would conduct a “full and fair investigation” into the handling of her death.
“Sensitivity and caring are of the utmost importance when working with a victim’s family. There is no tolerance for anything less than respect and sensitivity for family members and their loss,” Ganim said in a statement.
Ganim also announced that he will work with the Chief of Police to make changes to police department policies and practices when it comes to notifying family members of a death.
“I support and add my voice to family, community and elected officials who are calling for state legislation on this issue,” Ganim said.