Manu Feildel reveals the only condition that must be met before returning to My Kitchen Rules… after the show is deleted due to poor ratings
Manu Feildel has revealed what it will take for him to return as a judge on My Kitchen Rules, if the series returns to screens in the future.
On Sunday, the 47-year-old spoke candidly about the once-popular Seven’s cooking show – which was cut last year due to poor grades – which he ran alongside Colin Fassnidge and the controversial chef. Pete Evans.
Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, the SAS Australia star admitted he was “happy” to be making his comeback on one condition: that the show’s format undergoes a complete overhaul.
Returning King: Manu Feildel has confirmed he will return to judge on My Kitchen Rules, if the once popular show returns to screens in the future
Manu, who acknowledged that the current format “is not working” said: “If he was to come back, I would obviously be happy to be a part of it.
“I’ve been a part of it from the start, but I think we should have a new version. It needs to be rethought.
“It’s like recipes, you can’t do the same thing every day.”
Big comeback: On Sunday, the 47-year-old spoke candidly about the Seven show – which was cut last year due to poor ratings – which he previously directed alongside Colin Fassnidge (right) and by controversial chef Pete Evans (center)
MKR had once been an audience heavyweight for Seven, but its popularity has plunged in recent years as viewers flocked to Channel Nine’s Married At First Sight instead.
In 2020, its eleventh season attracted an average of half a million metro viewers per episode.
At its peak in 2014, the fifth season had attracted an average audience of 1.891 million in the five major cities.
MKR and the House Rules were removed in 2020 by Seven chief executive James Warburton, who said they had become “stale” and needed a break.
Fan favorite: Manu, who admitted that the current format ‘isn’t working’, said: ‘If he was to come back I would obviously be happy to be a part of it. I’ve been a part of it from the start, but I think we should have a new version. We need to rethink it ‘
“We really tried,” he said. “But viewers are looking for something fresh and different. So we put them back.
“We’ll bring them back at the right time when we have the right momentum and they can be refreshed.”
Manu returned to the screens for Plate of Origin alongside Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan, but it didn’t impress and was canceled after just one season.
In May, it was rumored that MKR could return to screens as early as next year, with the Sydney Morning Herald reporting that Seven wanted to bring the show back to “increase network ratings and attract lucrative advertising dollars.”
One person who won’t be returning for MKR Season 12 is Pete Evans, who left his $ 800,000 a year job at Seven several last year.
Rumor has it that Pete – who has become known for his controversial views against vaxxers – has been fired as a cost-cutting measure, but the network maintains the two sides made an “out-of-court” decision to go their separate ways.
Gone: One person who won’t be returning for MKR Season 12 is original judge Pete Evans (left), who stepped down from his $ 800,000 a year job at Seven several last year