Manchester United said they have taken note of the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision to drop all criminal charges against Mason Greenwood.
It was revealed on Thursday that charges of attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behavior against him had been dropped.
The 21-year-old was first arrested in January 2022 over the allegations after disturbing images and videos were uploaded by a woman.
Greenwood was later charged by Greater Manchester Police, with a provisional trial scheduled for November 2023.
He had faced one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behavior and one count of assault causing actual bodily harm, all against the same plaintiff.
However, the Crown Prosecution Service said it dropped all charges against Greenwood after a key witness withdrew his involvement.
A CPS spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep the cases under continuous review.
“In this case, the combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material being uncovered meant that there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we have a duty to stop the case.
“We have explained our decision to all parties.
“We always encourage all potential victims to come forward and report to the police and we will prosecute whenever our legal test is met.”
His club have since spoken on the matter, saying in a statement: “Manchester United take note of the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.
“The club will now conduct its own process before determining the next steps. We will not comment further until this process is complete. »