Premier League champions Manchester City host top table players Arsenal on Friday evening in the FA Cup fourth round clash pick.
Pep Guardiola’s side are five points clear of the top flight after the Gunners’ dramatic 3-2 win over Manchester United at the weekend.
City, who have won four titles in five years, are yet to play their biggest threat to domestic glory in all competitions so far this season.
The club have dominated Arsenal since Guardiola took charge, winning 13 of their 16 meetings under the Spaniard.
But Mikel Arteta can take solace in the fact that one of Arsenal’s only two wins over his former mentor came to him and he was on his way to their FA Cup triumph in 2020.
Chelsea and Arsenal, beaten by City, beat Oxford United in the last round to set up this FA Cup showdown.
Man City vs Arsenal: talkSPORT coverage
This FA Cup fourth round clash will take place on Friday, January 27.
Kick-off at the Etihad is scheduled for 8 p.m.
talkSPORT will have EXCLUSIVE live commentary from Manchester, with Hugh Woozencroft as host.
The comment then comes from Jim Proudfoot and former England defender Stuart Pearce.
To tune into talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 via the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen through the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Guardiola insists he doesn’t regret Zinchenko and Jesus’ moves to Arsenal despite rivalry
Arteta never celebrated goals against ‘his club’ Arsenal at Man City, says Guardiola
Brighton v Liverpool LIVE: FA Cup holders want revenge after Klopp’s ‘worst game’
Man United v Reading LIVE: Rashford aims to continue fine FA Cup form as legend returns
Preston v Tottenham LIVE: Danjuma debut with Conte under pressure to end trophy drought
Walsall v Leicester LIVE: Maddison to be back as Foxes aim for second win of 2023
Man City vs Arsenal: team news
The hosts could be without Phil Foden again due to a troublesome foot injury which sidelined him for their 3-0 win over Wolves last time out.
Rico Lewis was substituted at half-time in that match, but Guardiola insisted it was for tactical reasons rather than a problem.
Arsenal are still without long-term absentees Gabriel Jesus, Reiss Nelson and Mohamed Elneny, but otherwise have a new health toll to contend with.
Emile Smith Rowe could receive a rare start after returning from injury, while Leandro Trossard is in line to receive his full debut.
Manchester City vs Arsenal: what was said?
Arteta has been asked to sum up the first half of the season midway through the win over Man United.
He replied: “Extraordinary, I would say! It doesn’t get much better than that, that’s the reality.
“I think we deserve the points we have, I think we played well enough to win most games.
“But also the reality is that we still have a lot of things we can improve on, attacking and defending in transitions, in set pieces and that’s the goal.”
Manchester City vs Arsenal: Facts of the Match
- Riyad Mahrez has been involved in seven goals in his last five FA Cup appearances for Man City (6 goals, 1 assist) and scored twice in each of his last two games at the Etihad (against Fulham in February last and Chelsea this season). third round).
- Arsenal lost their last FA Cup game to another Premier League side, 1-0 at Southampton in the 2020-21 fourth round. They haven’t lost such back-to-back encounters in the competition since January 2010 (vs Stoke) and March 2011 (vs Man Utd).
- Manchester City have won their last nine FA Cup home matches, scoring at least three goals in each win and 40 goals overall. The only other team to win nine consecutive home games while scoring more than 3 goals in FA Cup history is Blackburn Rovers between 1881 and 1885, a run of 12.
- Arsenal have won their last four FA Cup games against Man City. They have reached the final each time they have eliminated the Citizens, winning the trophy the last three times (1971, 2017, 2020).
- Man City have won 13 of their 16 meetings with Arsenal in all competitions under Pep Guardiola (D1 L2), beating only Burnley (14) more since the Spaniard took charge. However, both defeats in this race have come in the FA Cup.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, rumors and gossip with our live transfer blog