Liverpool will face a must-see match against Southampton on Saturday night if they are to keep their top four prospects down.
Last season’s Premier League champions have endured a season to forget that term but could still save it by finishing in Champions League places.
The Reds enter this weekend’s games at seven points from Chelsea in fourth, but have a game in hand against the Blues.
Meanwhile, Southampton are ten points clear of the relegation zone and are apparently safe now.
The Saints beat Jurgen Klopp’s men in January, winning 1-0 on the South Coast thanks to an early strike from Danny Ings.
Liverpool v Southampton: How to listen
This match will start at 8:15 p.m. on Saturday 8 May.
Full coverage of Anfield will be live exclusively on talkSPORT, with our pre-match prep starting at 7pm.
Faye Carruthers will be your host and commentary will come from Nigel Adderley and Lucy Ward.
To connect, click on the radio player below or HERE for the live stream.
Here are the other ways to listen …
App iPhone – Download from the Apple Store
Android – Download from Google Play
Radio – talkSPORT is available across the UK via DAB digital radio and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
TV – Listen to talkSPORT through your TV on the following channels: Sky: Channel 0108 Virgin Media: Channel 927 Freeview: Channel 723 Freesat: Channel 731
Liverpool v Southampton: Team news
Liverpool have no new injury concerns ahead of Southampton’s visit.
The former Saint Virgil van Dijk defender is improving every week following his knee injury, but he is still far from coming back.
Joel Matip, Jorden Henderson, Joe Gomez and Divock Origi also remain absent.
Southampton winger Takumi Minamino is not eligible to face his parent club.
Ryan Bertrand remains absent with a calf problem while Danny Ings and Oriol Romeu are still sidelined.
Liverpool v Southampton: Statistics and facts of the match
- Liverpool are undefeated in their last six home league games against Southampton (W4 D2), winning the last three by an aggregate score of 10-0.
- Southampton are looking to complete the league brace against Liverpool for the third time in their history, previously in 1960-61 (second division) and 2003-04 (Premier League).
- Liverpool have conceded at least once in each of their last eight home games in the Premier League. Only twice have they had longer runs without a clean sheet at home in the competition, nine games between September and December 1996 and nine between December 1998 and May 1999.
- Liverpool have won just six points from their last 30 Premier League home games (W1 D3 L6). They had lost just 22 points from their previous 66 league games at Anfield (W55 D11 L0).
- Southampton have accumulated fewer points than any other Premier League team so far in 2021 (11 – W3 D2 L13), with the Saints also conceding 40 goals, a league high so far this calendar year.
- Southampton have lost more points from winning positions in the Premier League this season than any other team (23).
- Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has scored seven goals in seven Premier League appearances against Southampton, including five of three against them at Anfield.
- Since leaving Liverpool, Southampton striker Danny Ings has scored in two different Premier League games against them – only Nicolas Anelka (4) has scored in more Premier League games against the Reds after playing for them in the competition.
- Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold has been involved in seven Premier League goals this season (2 goals, 5 assists) – no defender has played more in the competition this season.
- No Southampton player has been involved in more Premier League goals this season than James Ward-Prowse (14 – 8 goals, 6 assists). His eight goals are the most important he has ever scored in a top-level campaign, while it was only in 2014-15 that he recorded so many assists (also 6).