In an update with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Friday morning, Florida Emergency Management Division Director Kevin Guthrie announced more deaths from Hurricane Ian.
He told reporters that one confirmed death had been reported in Polk County.
In hard-hit Charlotte County, 12 reported deaths have not been confirmed.
In Collier County, there have been eight unconfirmed deaths.
Guthrie noted that the state was still dealing with a few other “situations,” including one where human remains were found.
He also warned of carbon monoxide problems, although he noted that he did not say there had been any carbon monoxide deaths.
The governor announced that more than $12 million in donations had been raised following the devastation of Hurricane Ian.
“Quite, uh, pretty amazing that this happened,” he remarked, adding that the donations help FEMA “be a little more nimble.”
FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell said 13 Florida counties have been designated for individual assistance as recovery and relief efforts are underway.
The number of customers reported without power Friday morning fell below 2 million, although DeSantis noted that 99% of Hardy County was without power, as well as 85% of Charlotte and Lee counties.
A water main break in Lee County, he said, left residents without water.
The governor said the situation was a “top priority” and that the Army Corps of Engineers was working to assess the situation.
Additionally, the DeSantis said more than 10,000 residents — out of more than 20,000 who were contacted by the state — who completed a shelter-in-place survey on floridadisaster.org responded as “safe.”
The state expects more responses Friday, and there’s now a standalone website to let family members know you’re safe: missing.fl.gov.
As rescuers continue to work, DeSantis said they have reached more than 3,000 homes in the worst-hit areas, with more than 1,000 rescue workers spread out along the coast.
The governor’s office later confirmed to Fox News that there had been at least 700 rescues.
FDOT had cleared more than 1,100 miles of roadway and the governor said traffic was moving out of the area and “better than expected so early.”
800 bridges have been inspected and reopened, but DeSantis noted that the Sanibel Bridge will be a reconstruction project.
The bridge had breaks in several parts.
Six health care facilities were evacuated in southwest Florida after prolonged water or power issues.
DeSantis said people are working around the clock to be able to serve their constituents and their communities.
“And, we appreciate the dedication. We appreciate the perseverance. We know there are a lot of tough days ahead, but they’ve really done a great job of standing up for people in their community,” he concluded. .