Load the Spotify app to play your favorite tracks
Spotify is one of the most popular playlist music apps accessible on most platforms, tripling its revenue in the last five years from 2021, but impressively you still don’t have to pay a single penny to enjoy the basic features that Spotify has to offer. Spotify offers plenty of features suitable for Android users, even pairing well with your favorite wireless headphones. In today’s guide, we tell you how to install the Spotify app, create a new account and play Spotify on your Android device.
How to Download and Install the Spotify App
- Launch the Google Play Store app and search for “Spotify” or access the listing via the Play Store widget below.
- Click the install button to download the app to your Android device.
How to Create a Spotify Account
It is imperative to create a Spotify account if you want to keep your playlists on multiple platforms. So below we tell you how to set up a new Spotify account. To note: Screenshots are omitted due to application restrictions during these steps.
- Launch the Spotify app.
- You must select a sign-in method or sign in to continue using the app, tap Free registration.
- Enter a valid email address (you will need to confirm the email address later) in the field What is your email? box.
- Enter a secure 8-character password inside the create a password box; please do not share or give out your password!
- Select your date of birth by scrolling to the corresponding month, day and year, then press Next.
- Choose your gender option or select I prefer not to say it.
- Enter a name for your Spotify profile; it may use part of your default email address, but we strongly recommend replacing it with a custom username not associated with your email to keep your information private and secure. Any name you select is public. When finished, press Create an account (we advise you to tick only the agreement on the conditions of use and to refuse to receive marketing messages).
Getting started with Spotify on Android
- After creating your account, you will be able to select and choose your favorite artists; use the search function to find artists, not on the Spotify start list.
- Choose up to three to help kick-start your Spotify experience.
- Faucet Choose podcasts if you want to add podcasts to your library; otherwise, press Do.
How to Create a Spotify Playlist
Now that you’re all set up with the Spotify app, it’s time to start creating your first custom playlist. Spotify adds default playlists based on the artists and podcasts you choose, but we’ll show you how to create your own playlist that you can create from scratch.
- Open the Spotify app.
- Faucet Your library on the home page.
- Once in your library, tap the plus icon.
- Tap Playlist and enter a playlist name.
- Once you’ve chosen a name, tap Create. Congratulations, now you can access your new playlist in your Spotify library, then later we will show you how to add songs.
How to Add Songs to a Spotify Playlist
Once you’ve created a Spotify playlist, it’s time to add songs. Please note that this is not limited to songs, you can also add podcasts to your playlists.
- Open the Spotify app.
- Move towards Your library.
- Tap a playlist found in your library.
- Faucet Add songs; enter the name of the songs using the search function. Alternatively, you can search for artists and albums to find songs.
- Select a song and tap the plus icon next to the song name. Successfully adding the song to the playlist will show “Added to playlist name” at the bottom.
Adding songs from existing playlists
While listening to other playlists, you can acquire songs for your personal playlist.
- Tap a playlist and select the kebab icon next to the song (three vertical dots).
- Faucet Add to playlist and choose your personal playlist.
How to Play Spotify Using the Android App
Now that you have created a playlist and added songs. It’s time to take advantage of all your hard work, so here’s how to start listening to the songs on your playlist. This doesn’t have to be your playlist; you can connect to any playlist available on Spotify, which is part of why Spotify is so popular – there are so many playlists available!
- Open the Spotify app.
- Select Your Library and choose a playlist.
- Tap the play button.
- Tap the currently playing song to access the full playback menu; you can pause, use the arrows to skip songs, randomize your song selection and add a loop. Just note that the free version of Spotify has limitations on the skip feature – expect commercial interruptions while listening.
Share your Spotify experience
Now that you’ve started your Spotify journey, you can share your app activity with family and friends on Discord. Since so many users are using Spotify, it has integrated with many platforms like Discord, PlayStation, Google Maps, and Twitch. So when members of your social group ask for song and playlist recommendations, you can freely send some of your favorites through Spotify’s playlist sharing feature. Feel free to swap musical recordings – it’s an important part of the experience!