Files on macOS are permanently deleted when you use the Delete Immediately commands that bypass the Trash or empty your Mac Trash. If some critical files are mistakenly deleted during this process, there is no turning back, but luckily for us, there is not! The good news is that we have a few tricks up our sleeve and will soon be learning how to recover permanently deleted media, so keep reading …
Method 1 – Use Time Machine to restore deleted files
Time Machine is a native backup and restore application included in macOS. It requires a full backup of your Mac for the first time, which you can also schedule incrementally at certain intervals; If there ever is corruption or other data loss scenario that threatens the value of all those hours on work (or personal) projects stored inside, then this utility kicks in!
So if you have Time Machine backup drive and want to recover deleted files on your Mac without resorting to external hard drive or recover from breakout of another computer.
1) Now that we know how important it is for us as users not only to set up automatic backups but also to take snapshots of complete files before they are permanently deleted by mistake. Most people don’t back up this data at all! In order to restore them in case something happens, like deleting crucial working documents during active project times, as has happened several times before where professionals would waste hours on each instance, follow these steps:
- Make sure the Time Machine backup media is connected to the mac
- Now open Finder from where you deleted the files
- Go to Time Machine> Enter Time Machine
- Use timeline or up or down keys to find deleted files from backup
- Select permanently deleted files and restore files
Time Machine recovery steps are not always successful. In some cases, Mac file recovery software may be what you need to help you restore your previously lost files and folders!
Occasionally, the backup drive may not work as expected or there may be a formatting problem; other times interference from another program such as malware can cause issues during the data restoration process – no matter how bad its effect on usernames like “damn” may seem in comparison (not). But don’t worry: we have tools for those who prefer peace of mind to perfect precision when dealing with sensitive information.
Method 2: Recover Permanently Deleted Files on Mac
Mac file recovery software can come to the rescue when Time Machine backup is unavailable or corrupted. So you need to download and install a trusted free program: Stellar Data Recovery for Mac Free Edition. After installation, launch this excellent tool on your computer where all data is permanently erased with one click on the “Select” button – it’s as easy as pie! The scanning process begins automatically, but if there are any problems during the extraction, select the option “scan manually” instead; Just remember that each scan takes a certain amount of time depending on the space allocated by the user. Here are the steps to recover data using stellar mac data recovery software.
- Download free Mac data recovery software from Stellar website
- As you see in the image below, select, in the menu “Select what to recover”, click on Next
Select: From the “Select what to recover” screen, choose the file type and click Next.
- Select Location, specify the location from which the files were deleted.
- Once you have selected the data, the analysis will begin. Wait for the scanning process to complete
- After the scan is complete, you will see the list of file recovery in the left pane, click on the files you need and click recover
You can recover files up to 1GB without spending any money with this free Mac file recovery software. If you need more space, upgrade your edition as needed and recover all the data saved on the external drive after the recovery is complete in case of computer crash or phone crash!