PDF is one of the best formats for distributing multimedia files. Sharing images in JPG or JPEG file format will reduce image data and quality over time. Therefore, it is better to store images in PDF format, especially if you share the image files multiple times.
This tutorial will show you how to save an image as a PDF file on Android, iOS, Windows and macOS devices.
How to Convert or Save Images to PDF on Mac
There are several ways to convert image or image files to PDF format on macOS devices. You can export images to PDF using the macOS Preview or Print utility. We cover the steps for both methods in the sections below.
Convert Images to PDF Using Preview: Method 1
Preview is the default image viewing and editing tool in macOS. It has an image export feature that allows users to convert images to PDF files and various image formats. Here’s how to use Preview to save an image as a PDF:
- Double-click the image or right-click and select Open with > Insight.
- Select Case in the menu bar (the upper right corner of your Mac screen) and select Export to PDF.
- The PDF file can have the same name as the original image file. If desired, give the PDF file a different name in the “Save As” field. Then select the Where drop-down icon to choose where you want to save the PDF file on your computer.
To note: Don’t forget to remove the image file extension (e.g., .jpg, .png, .tiffetc.) from the name of the PDF file.
Select Show the details if you want to change the paper size and orientation of the resulting PDF file. The Authorization option allows you to password protect the PDF file.
- macOS will convert the image or picture to a PDF file when you press the to safeguard button. The original image file will remain on your computer.
Convert Images to PDF Using Preview: Method 2
Here’s another way to turn an image into a PDF using preview. First, open the image in Preview and follow the steps below.
- Select Case in the menu bar and choose Export.
- Enter the name of the PDF file in the “Export as” field and select the destination folder in the “Where” section. Finally, expand the “Format” drop-down menu and choose PDF.
- Select Permissions if you want to password protect or prevent unauthorized modification and duplication of the PDF file. Select to safeguard to convert the image to a PDF document.
Save images as PDF files using the macOS Print Utility
The macOS Print Utility can save images as PDF files. You can access the PDF converter by printing an image from the preview. Double-click the image you want to save as a PDF and follow the steps below.
- Select Case in the menu bar and select To print (or press Ordered + P) to launch the print utility.
- Switch the image between portrait or landscape orientation and select the PDF drop down list in the lower corner of the print utility.
- Select Save as PDF.
- Enter a name for the PDF file in the “Save as” and “Title” fields. Remove the image file format (e.g. .jpg, .png, etc.) from the file name in both fields. Select to safeguard to convert and save the PDF file to your computer.
Save image as PDF in Windows
Windows has a “Microsoft Print to PDF” tool to convert printable files into digital PDF formats. Follow these steps to use the tool to turn images into PDF files on your PC.
- Double click on the picture or image you want to convert to PDF. This will open the file in the Photos app.
- Hurry CTRL + P to open the Windows printing utility. Alternatively, select the three dot menu icon in the upper right corner and select To print.
- Expand the Printer drop-down menu and select Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Set the orientation or paper size of the resulting PDF. Then select To print to create a PDF document of the original image.
- Enter a file name for the PDF and select to safeguard.
Unlike macOS, Windows’ “Microsoft Print to PDF” utility does not have security features to password protect PDF files. However, you can use third-party programs or online tools to prevent unauthorized access or modification of the PDF file. Refer to our tutorial on password protecting documents in Windows for more information.
Save image as PDF on iPhone and iPad
You can convert images to PDFs through the Photos & Files app on iOS and iPadsOS devices.
Save an image as a PDF in the Photos app
- Open the Photos app and select the image you want to convert.
- Press the To share icon in the lower left corner and select To print in the share menu.
- Faucet To print to convert the image to a PDF document.
- Select Save to files to save the converted PDF file to your iPhone storage.
- Rename the file, select your preferred destination folder and press to safeguard.
Save an image as a PDF in the Files app
- Open the Pictures app, select the image you want to convert and press the Share icon.
- Select Save to files.
- Rename the image (if desired), select your preferred folder and press to safeguard.
- Open the Files app and locate the image file you just saved. Long press the image file and select Create PDF in the context menu.
- iOS will create a PDF file with the same name as the original image file.
The newly created PDF file and the original image will have similar thumbnails, but you can still check which of the lookalikes is a PDF document. Press and hold one of the files and select Obtain informations. You should see the file format on the info page.
Save image as PDF on Android
Android has a built-in PDF generator that converts images of different formats (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc.) into PDF files. Follow the steps below to save an image as a PDF to your Android device.
To note: The steps below may vary depending on the brand, model or operating system version of your Android device.
- Open the image in the Google Files app or your device’s default image viewer app.
- Press the To share icon and select To print.
Check the image menu if you cannot find a “Print” option in the Share menu. Press the menu icon in the upper or lower corner of the image viewer.
- Press the Select a printer drop-down icon and select Save as PDF.
- Press the to safeguard Where PDF icon to continue.
- Name the PDF file and press to safeguard.
Convert images to PDF using online tools
iLovePDF and SmallPDF are two reputable free image converter tools available on the internet. Adobe also offers a free online image converter, and you can also use it to edit, compress, or merge multiple JPEG files if needed.
All you need is a mobile or computer web browser, an internet connection, and the image you want to convert. Converting images to PDF using online tools involves a three-step process:
- Visit the online image to PDF converter website in your browser.
- Upload the image file you want to convert to PDF. Select the Convert Where to safeguard Where Convert to PDF button—depending on the tool you are using.
- Download the converted PDF file to your computer or smartphone. You can also find options to share files to save the PDF file to cloud storage accounts.
“PDF” your images and photos
Converting a single image file to a PDF file is simple. Combining multiple images into a single PDF file is a different ballgame, but it’s just as easy. For step-by-step instructions, see our tutorial on converting multiple images to PDF files.