Meghan Markle and Prince Harry must ask President Trump for “ special help ” if they want Secret Service protection for their new life in Los Angeles, as Canadians say goodbye to the couple and their security costs .
Trump will have the final say on whether the couple can enjoy diplomatic protection in the United States, as Harry will no longer be classified as an “ international protected person ” when he completes the final phase of the Megxit week next, according to a royal source.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and ten-month-old baby Archie jumped last minute across the border from Canada to the United States this week to start their new life in Los Angeles.
We now wonder who will foot the bill for their new Hollywood lifestyle.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will have to ask President Trump for “ special help ” if they want Secret Service protection for their new life in Los Angeles, a source says.
The couple made a lot of noise earlier this year when they announced with surprise that they were leaving royal life and leaving the United Kingdom.
The Megxit process will finally be completed on Tuesday, when the couple retire as senior Royals.
A royal source said the withdrawal of the pair removes any obligation for the U.S. government to pay for their security.
The United Kingdom and the United States have a long-standing reciprocal agreement with respect to bodyguards protecting diplomats and members of the royal family.
President Trump’s secret service agents were said to have been allowed to carry their arms during his state visit, as well as the Queen and Prince Charles’ bodyguards during their official trips to the United States.
Trump will have the final say on whether the couple can benefit from diplomatic protection in the United States, as Harry will no longer be classified as an “ international protected person ” when he completes the final phase of the Megxit next week .
But the removal of Harry from the royal family means that he is no longer considered an “ international protected person ” and that these rules therefore do not apply.
The couple will now have to rely on President Trump to make an exception to cover costs, the source said.
“It will be up to Harry or his Met police protection officers to ask for help,” they said.
“There is a reciprocal agreement between the United States that allows protection officers to carry their weapons. But Harry is no longer a royal on duty and that is why his protection in Canada against the gendarmes was withdrawn.
“Someone is going to have to ask the State Department for help, and ultimately the decision rests with Donald Trump. Harry cannot live in the United States without armed protection. ”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and ten-month-old baby Archie made a last-minute jump across the border from Canada to the United States this week to start their new life in LA
Given Meghan’s criticisms of the American leader – and of snubbing him at a banquet at Buckingham Palace – he might not feel so generous to the couple.
Harry also disparaged Trump by saying he had “ blood on his hands ” during a phone call when he was tricked into thinking he was speaking to climate activist Greta Thunberg.
The couple will now have to plead with Trump to cover the costs.
If he refuses, they will have to pay for private security or the UK will continue to foot the bill.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada would not pay for the security of Sussex
Under US law, only citizens and permanent residents or green card holders are allowed to possess a firearm.
Private security personnel, who are often former military or law enforcement officers, can be armed.
However, royal experts do not believe that Harry will turn to a private security company.
LAPD and the governor’s office of California Newsom have not returned requests from DailyMail.com regarding their involvement in the couple’s security plans.
Canadian officials have repeatedly said that they would not pay for the safety of Meghan and Harry when the Sussexes left the United Kingdom and moved to Canada.
Their protection against the Royal Canadian Mounted Police outside their home in Vancouver was to cease on the same day that their active membership in the royal family expired on March 31.
And it seems that some Canadian residents are happy to see the couple’s back, when it turned out that they had lifted sticks and moved to the United States for a new life.
Some turned to social media to celebrate the news, with one person who tweeted, “Well, good news Canada, Harry and Meghan have left for LA !!!
Some Canadian residents are happy to see the backs of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry who lifted sticks and moved to the United States for a new life
In a thread, a Canadian said the public had been “Markled” and called on the United States to follow the example of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to refuse to pay for their security.
“Simply put, Canada got Markled. #MeghanMarkle and #JustHarry have already blocked the phone number of @ JustinTrudeau. Hopefully @realDonaldTrump @POTUS and @GavinNewsom will crack down on these two #Grifters and finally say ‘NO’ to them. #NoTitlesForTheSussexes #Megxit #PayForSecurity, ”they tweeted.
Others were sad to see them leave, but expressed anger that the couple had brought nothing to their temporary home in the short time they had spent there.
“Not shocked, not surprised, but very disappointed and maybe a little angry. Their whole relationship gave us NOTHING literally, not a photo or a parade! Frankly, I never want to see them again. Tax money has higher priorities, “said one person.
Another Canadian tweeted “we were playing”, with someone responding, “Wow, they really got us Kawhi like that.
Some Canadians expressed their anger that the couple contributed nothing to their temporary residence during the short period they were there.
They seemed to be referring to basketball star Leonard Kawhi, who became one of Canada’s most popular athletes last year when he led the Toronto Raptors to their very first NBA championship, but then disappointed fans by jumping to Los Angeles to play for the Clippers after a single game. season.
The couple’s decision appeared to back up on previous claims that they would not live in America as long as Donald Trump was president.
Some Twitter users have criticized “hypocrisy”: “So Harry and Meghan move to LA. Ah, remember when they said they weren’t going to America while Trump was president. It’s funny what regular work does, isn’t it? Shameless hypocrisy.
Others have turned to social media to question the decision to cross borders while the world is struggling with the coronavirus pandemic.
Flight bans have increased and people have been told to avoid non-essential travel in recent weeks.
Others have turned to social media to question the decision to cross borders as the world grapples with the coronavirus pandemic
Last week, Canada and the United States agreed to close their shared border in an attempt to slow the spread.
Back in Harry’s birthplace in the UK, his father, Prince Charles, tested positive for the deadly virus.
Twitter users have criticized the couple for having baby Archie stolen from another country during this difficult time – noting that they would not have their son stolen in the UK to see his elderly great-grandparents due virus risk.
“ I would not fly Archie here with them so that the queen, Phillip, etc. can see it ” because of the coronavirus “ but apparently very happy to have brought him to LA, ” tweeted one .
Another said, “They’re crazy! Are you moving from a relatively safe Canada to the tallest country in the world? And is this border not closed?
One person said that she should return to the UK and support the country and the royal family during the crisis: “ Imagine what Meghan and Harry could do for their shattered reputation when they came home at that time to support the national effort against Corona – and the Royal family. ‘
However, some Los Angeles residents were delighted with the news that they can now call the couple their new neighbors.
An excited resident was eager to meet them in the area.
‘Yes!!!! Perfect timing. Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and Archie have a new place to call home, ” they posted.
In Los Angeles, some residents were delighted to learn that they could now call the couple their new neighbors
“I can’t wait to see Meghan and Harry at Whole Foods in September, when we are still only allowed to buy essential items.
While others have invited the Sussexes to move around their neighborhoods.
“Instead of looking for a home in LA, I think #HarryandMeghan should consider the Bay Area, especially Silicon Valley. For my part, I would be delighted to welcome them to Palo Alto, ” tweeted an American.
The couple took a private jet to California just before the suspension of non-essential travel between the two countries, the northern border of the United States having closed its doors in desperate efforts to control the epidemic of coronavirus.
They had long planned to settle in the Duchess’ home state – where her mother Doria lives – but were forced to submit plans due to the epidemic.
The couple left their borrowed £ 10 million mansion on peaceful Vancouver Island in Canada to join their team of Hollywood agents and publicists, whom they hired to launch their new careers.
The exact location of Harry and Meghan is unknown, but it has been reported that they were “locking themselves up” in an exclusive gated community in Los Angeles.
Insiders said the move was triggered by concerns over the tax they make from earning money and keeping their residence in both places, as well as growing fears of losing their personal security in Canada.
Questions Are Raising Over Who Will Pay For Their Security In The United States
While security may be problematic for Harry, obtaining residency in the United States will not be a problem.
As the husband of the American citizen Meghan, she can ask Harry to be allowed to live in the country.
Applications for spouses can take up to 10 months, but given the high profile of the couple, their paperwork would likely be handled much faster by immigration officials.
As the founder of the Invictus Games, Harry could even apply for an O visa that would allow him to work and live in the country until the green card is approved.
The visa category is used by athletes, actors and businessmen and each must demonstrate exceptional ability in their field.
As the Invictus Games for injured servicemen are known around the world, Harry could claim that he meets the criteria for a visa which allows him to reside for up to three years.