* Spot gold rose 0.1% to $1,952.29 an ounce, by 0023 GMT, after hitting the highest level since April 2022 earlier in the session. US gold futures rose 1.4% to $1,969.40.
* On Wednesday, the Fed returned to a rate hike of a quarter of a percentage point after a year of bigger hikes. Powell warned against further tightening of monetary policy, but also noted progress in disinflation, which he said is still in its infancy.
* Gold tends to benefit from a low interest rate environment as it reduces the opportunity cost of holding non-performing bullion.
* The Bank of England and the European Central Bank are expected to raise rates by 50 basis points later today.
* India has raised total taxes on silver imports by 15% and on gilded silver by 14.35%, the government said in a statement on Wednesday, in a bid to align the duty structure of the metal on gold. * Spot silver gained 0.5% to $24.09 an ounce, platinum rose 0.6% to $1,009.62 and palladium was flat at $1,669.59.