The pinnacle of club football, UEFA Champions League
, has seen players develop their stats from starlets to legends over the years. Cristiano Ronaldo
and Lionel Messi
remain the competition’s two most prolific goalscorers and have also won the UCL title on several occasions.
The duo’s dominance has not only been in terms of goals scored, but they have also assisted a plethora of goals for their teammates in the competition. In reality, Ronaldo is not only the top scorer in the history of the Champions League but also the best support provider.
Most assists in Champions League history:
5. Xavi Hernandez: The legendary Spanish midfielder has gone from being one of the best players in Barcelona’s history to coaching his boyhood club in the present day. Xavi has only played for Barcelona throughout his career in Europe, making around 150 Champions League appearances. He assisted a total of 30 goals.
4. Ryan Gigg: The retired Manchester United winger comes next with 31 assists to his name in Europe’s most important club competition. Giggs also remains a one-club player, having come through the Manchester United youth team. He also ranks among the top 5 players with the most Champions League appearances.
3. Maria’s Angel: One of the most successful players in Champions League history, Angel di Maria has represented several clubs in the competition. He enjoyed the most success with Real Madrid and also had spells with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, among others. He has assisted a total of 35 goals so far in the tournament.
2. Lionel Messi: Arguably the greatest player to ever play the game, Messi is one of the most decorated players in Champions League history. After representing Barcelona for almost two decades, Messi moved to PSG ahead of the 2021-22 season. Still going strong at the age of 34, Messi has scored as many as 36 UCL goals in his career.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo: Mr Champions League, as Ronaldo has been dubbed, tops the list with 42 assists to his name in the competition so far. While the Portuguese won UCL titles with Manchester United and Real Madrid, it was with the Spanish giants that he had the most success.
To note: Data compiled up to the end of the 2021-22 UEFA Champions League group stage.