“I knew I was young, I was passionate about sport and more than anything I knew, I just needed to understand my body,” said Cruz on the way home. “It was just to take me back to where I was. It’s just patience. The second you let something slip into your mind, it doesn’t help you. So I don’t allow things that don’t serve me well to come to my mind. I expel them immediately. “
Like the above questions. Perhaps this is why after returning from knee surgery to be forced to leave a UFC 169 fight with Renan Barao earlier this year due to a torn groin, Cruz stepped off the radar, no longer wishing to speak of the bad luck that haunted him. over two years and cost him his UFC bantamweight title.
“It’s not that I didn’t want to answer the questions again; it’s that it made no sense,” he said. “It will be just the same. People want to hear the same things. “Dominick, you are out again, how are you feeling?” Well, everyone knows the answer to this question, so why are you going to ask me? I did not need to answer these questions. And to be honest, I no longer held the title, so there was no more pressure on me. What I thought and said was that division was no longer my responsibility. They said it was no longer yours; it is that of Barao. So I said, okay Barao, it’s your responsibility to take care of it. I have to focus a bit on myself. And I dropped the radar to focus on myself, to bring my mind back to where I needed it and to get my body back into shape. Really, I was tired of talking about it and ready to talk about it. And now I’m here and I can take care of it, my body works for me, so I’m talking here. “
On Saturday, September 27, Cruz will return to active service against competitor number six Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178 in Las Vegas. It’s a long-awaited fight, not only because of Cruz’s return, but also because of the title implications for the winner. Of course, Cruz could have jumped again in a title fight, but he chose to fight again before trying to reclaim his crown.