Halo! Forza! Psychonauts! The era of empires! And dozens of other games too! “,” Image_url “:” https: / / cdn.arstechnica.net / wp-content / uploads / 2021 / 06 /Screenshot-7106-150×150.png “,” listing_image_url “:” https: / / cdn.arstechnica.net / wp-content / uploads / 2021 / 06 /Screenshot-7106-360×200.png “}”>
Skip to main content
Microsoft has brought together 30 different games in its 1.5-hour presentation at this year’s all-virtual E3 show. Most of these games will be available on Game Pass and many will be exclusive to the Xbox console.
If you didn’t have the chance to witness the long, bombastic live stream, here’s a quick recap of every trailer and announcement that graced the streaming “stage”.
- The trailer for STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl focuses on a group of men who seem increasingly obsessed with “The Zone” and the mutant and paranormal creatures within. Lightning effects are in the foreground. It is “coming first” to Xbox and PC on April 28, 2022.
- Back 4 Blood is sold as “from the creators of Left for dead“, and it certainly looks like the part in its last trailer. Coming October 12 on Xbox One, Series X / S, PS4 / 5, and Windows, featuring a new swarm mode and human vs. zombie PvP. Also check out our impressions based on the game’s alpha 2020 test.
- The trailer for Smuggling had a lot of vibe but not a lot of concrete information other than the fact that this is an open-world co-op title from Avalanche Studios (Rage 2, Just cause 4). YouTube’s description describes it as “a cooperative smuggler’s paradise set in the fictional world of Bayan from the 1970s.” No target date mentioned for this Xbox and Windows exclusive.
- We have seen footage of Battlefield 2042 it looked pretty much like the pictures we saw last week. You can now airlift tanks anywhere on the battlefield, which seems like a plus. Look for it on October 22, 2021 on Xbox One, Series X / S, PS4 / 5, and Windows.
- The “interactive thriller” on a loop in time 12 minutes is still beautiful, although very similar to the preview we saw at E3 two years ago. James McAvoy, Daisey Ridley and Willem Dafoe play the voices. It will be an Xbox “console launch exclusive” on August 19, 2021.
- Psychonauts 2 It is finally approaching its release after its 2016 crowdfunding campaign. Expect “head wailing”, “thought crobatics” and lots of Ras walking around on balls of different types. Also a surprising amount of environments strewn with teeth. It will arrive on the Xbox One, Series X / S, PS4, and PC platforms on August 25.
- Party animal is a cute and chaotic physical multiplayer brawler that is immediately reminiscent of comparisons with Gang of beasts. It arrives on Game Pass in 2022 as well as on Steam.
- Somerville release some Inside and Kentucky Route Zero vibrations as it features a family trying to wander through atmospheric 2D environments in the midst of an apparent alien invasion. This holds true, as its development studio Jumpship was formed by former members of Playdead (Inside, Limbo).
- Infinite halo is finally arriving in Holiday 2021, and a new trailer showed Master Chief floating through the wreckage of a ship and having a confused conversation with Cortana’s apparent AI replacement. The free multiplayer mode will launch alongside the paid campaign and will run up to 120 fps on Xbox Series X.
- Risen Diablo II is yet another opportunity to purchase the 21-year-old game, this time with 60fps remastered visuals, cross-progression, and eight-player co-op. Look for it on Xbox Series X / S on September 23 as well as Xbox One, PS4 / 5, Switch, and Windows.
- A Plague Tale: Requiem featured a very atmospheric pre-rendered trailer evoking many of the same feelings as its successful predecessor, but showing no gameplay. It is coming to Xbox and Windows consoles in 2022.
- Slime Breeder 2 seems to have more of the same super cute gameplay as the 2017 original, allowing the player to solve puzzles by sucking up blobby monsters and spitting them out using a specialized gun. Look for it in 2022 on Xbox Series X / S and Windows.
- Crushers is a snowboarding game that seems to be all about video capture. It’s not SSX which is always a shame. Coming to “Xbox Series X / S First” in December 2021.
- Mundfish Atomic heart is a Bio-shock– an esque shooter, mixing guns and telekentic powers amid robots, mutants and a vaguely J-pop soundtrack. No release windows are planned for the game, which is planned for the PlayStation and Xbox and Windows consoles.
- Replaced features incredibly detailed and smooth pixel-art animation inspired by anime in what looks like a very hard-hitting brawler. Look for it in 2022 on Xbox One, Series X / S, and Windows.
- Chronicle of Eiyuden mixes hand-drawn 2D art with amazing 3D environments and camera angle for what feels like a spiritual successor to the beloved Suikoden PlayStation RPG. “Hundred Heroes” arrives in 2022, while “Rising” arrives in 2023 for the PlayStation and Xbox and Windows consoles.
- Ascension features characters shooting through some generic cyberpunk environments from an isometric perspective. It’s coming to Game Pass on day one, July 29, on Xbox One, Series X / S, and Windows.
- Age of Empires IV once again asks the players “if the story was in your hands, what would you build?” How would you fight? Where would you go ? It’s coming October 28 for Windows and Xbox Cloud Gaming.
- The Outer Worlds 2 is in the works, but there’s nothing set to show at the moment, so instead we had a very meta-trailer commenting on other video game trailers.
- Forza Horizon 5 takes place in Mexico, where you will cross amazing deserts and waterfalls. “Forza Link” uses AI to link players with multiplayer partners based on the types of games they enjoy, while the Event Lab allows players to create their own challenges with their own rules, like bowling by car. It’s coming November 9 for Xbox One, Series X / S, and Windows
- Arkane Studios’ Red drop is a vampire-themed supernatural shooter with a diverse cast and an irreverent attitude, based on its first pre-rendered trailer. It arrives in the summer of 2022 on Xbox Series X / S and Windows.
What’s New for Existing Games
- Captain Jack Sparrow will make an appearance in some Sea of Thieves DLC starting June 22.
- Yakuza: like a dragon is available on Game Pass from today.
- Fallout 76 receives a “Steel Reign” update and a slew of new “Expeditions” to new locations, including “The Pitt” from the Fallout 3 DLC.
- BasedThe “Shroom and Doom” update for “Shroom and Doom” features a terrifying giant spider called Brood Mother and a bunch of other things that I missed because I was afraid of the Brood Mother.
- Among us gets 15 player lobbies, which is kind of legitimate big news about one of the biggest games out there.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator arrives on Xbox Series X / S on July 27 and gets a Top Gun-expansion of branded jet fighters in the fall.