Plácido Domingo and the Royal Opera House have “decided by mutual agreement” that he will withdraw from the next Don Carlo performances this summer.
The opera singer and conductor was scheduled to perform in London in July.
However, several allegations of misconduct have been brought against him, which he denies.
The Royal Opera House confirmed that it had “received no complaint of fault against” Domingo and was “sympathetic to his reasons for resigning”.
- Plácido Domingo apologizes to the accusers
“Plácido is an exceptional singer and artist and we are extremely grateful for his support and commitment over many decades,” they said in a statement on Friday.
“We will announce the cast of his role in Don Carlo in due course.”
Last month, Domingo apologized for “injuring” the women who accused him of sexual harassment and also resigned from his post as general manager of the Los Angeles Opera.
“I respect the fact that these women finally felt comfortable enough to express themselves,” he said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times.
“I want them to know that I am truly sorry for the harm I have caused them.”
follow us on Facebook or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email .