Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has claimed he is back to his best following his victory over Jermell Charlo and is now considering his next opponent.
The undisputed super middleweight world champion (168 pounds) dominated Iron Man in September in his last outing in the ring.
Canelo dropped Charlo in the seventh round on his way to a unanimous decision victory in Las Vegas.
The 33-year-old looked unstoppable between 2019 and 2021 before a shock defeat to Dmitry Bivol at light heavyweight last year.
The former undisputed pound-for-pound king of boxing has since sought to disparage his declining skills in his recent performances.
Before beating Charlo, Canelo defeated John Ryder and earned a trilogy triumph over Gennady Golovkin.
His return to form has sparked renewed interest in the Mexican’s next step.
Canelo Alvarez’s next fight: is his opponent confirmed?
No, Canelo’s next matchup has not yet been confirmed.
However, the Guadalajara-born fighter will fight on Cinco De Mayo weekend.
This means his next fight date is May 4, 2024.
It will be held in Las Vegas, with possible venues at T-Mobile Arena and MGM Arena.
After his victory over Charlo, Canelo was asked about his next opponent and bluntly replied: “I don’t care.”
As things stand, Canelo’s most likely opponent in May is Jermall Charlo.
The Ring claims sources have told them a deal for Canelo to face his last opponent’s twin brother is in the works.
And speaking to TV Azteca in Mexico, Canelo revealed his next opponent would be American, meaning it’s looking increasingly likely that Jermall will be the man to face the Mexican.
“The Hit Man” returned to winning ways in November 2023 by defeating Jose Benavidez Jr, having not boxed since mid-2021 due to injuries and mental health issues.
Benavidez was initially considered Canelo’s most likely opponent, but that is no longer the case.
“El Bandera Roja” publicly called out Canelo for the battle for undisputed status at 168 pounds.
Benavidez said: “Canelo has no one else to fight with, if he wants to give me the fight today, tomorrow or whenever he wants, I will be there.
“My job isn’t done yet. If Canelo doesn’t want it, I beat everyone else, I’ll keep fighting. It’s a deep division.”
However, it appears the Mexican has chosen a different opponent, but if that fails, Benavidez will wait due to his ties to Al-Haymon’s PBC, with whom Canelo has a three-fight contract.
Alternatively, the sport’s biggest global superstar might be eager to face Bud, the man who replaced him as the pound-for-pound No. 1.
After Alvarez dismantled Charlo, Crawford announced on social media: “Canelo vs. Crawford is the greatest fight in boxing.”
However, Canelo cooled the comments, saying: “At the moment the fight with Terence Crawford doesn’t make sense.” But he quickly added: “I just won, let me enjoy it.” »
It’s a fight that would appeal to the masses, but we might have to wait for this one to succeed.
But Crawford is American and has ties to PBC, so it’s not impossible that a secret deal was struck between these two legends.