England’s Billy Joe Saunders will face the great Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez this weekend in a huge unification title fight.
Canelo earned his 55th career victory when he defeated Turkey’s Avni Yildirim in February, while Saunders defeated Martin Murray in 2020.
The Mexican holds the WBA, WBC and The Ring super middleweight titles and will now be looking to add Saunders’ WBO belt to his collection.
“Superb” is undefeated in his 30 fights so far, but it will be a major breakthrough in the class.
Saunders is convinced he can rock the odds and beat Alvarez and it should be an exciting fight.
Canelo v Saunders: how to watch
- The 12-round super middleweight bout takes place on Saturday, May 8 and will be held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
- Card from 11 p.m. in the UK
- The main event ring marches are scheduled to begin around 4 a.m. on Sunday morning UK time.
- The DAZN streaming service will show the fight in the UK from 1 a.m. on Sunday morning
- DAZN costs £ 1.99 per month and subscribers can cancel at any time. It is available on all devices. Register on DAZN.com
Canelo v Saunders: on talkSPORT
talkSPORT.com will host a live blog for all the latest news, in-depth updates and reactions to the night’s action.
We’ll also bring you all the preparation throughout the week for the best coverage before and after the fight.
talkSPORT will also be updated throughout the weekend.
Canelo vs. Saunders: Undercard
Subject to change
- MAIN EVENT: Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders – for WBO, WBA (Super), WBC and The ring super middleweight titles
- Elwin Soto vs Katsunari Takayama – for WBO lightweight flyweight title
- Kieron Conway vs Souleymane Cissokho – for WBA Intercontinental Super Welterweight Title
- Frank Sanchez vs. Nagy Aguilera
- Keyshawn Davis vs. Jose Antonio Meza
- Christian Alan Gomez Duran vs. Xavier Wilson
- Kelvin Davis vs. Jan Marsalek
Canelo v Saunders: What was said?
Canelo Alvarez: “I know what Billy Joe brings. He’s a fast fighter who moves a lot.
“He’s a tough opponent. But at this level, I have to adapt to any style, and I’m ready to make history and for any style.
“I’m always ready to fight, and boxing is my life. And I’m very happy to be so active. I will win without a doubt.
“I train here 100%. I came to win, I came to write history, and that’s the only thing that crosses my mind.
Billy Joe Saunders: “[Beating Canelo] would mean the world to me. I started boxing at the age of five and now it’s the pinnacle. This fight is a legacy because of what’s at stake.
“My story is already written in my head and I just have to follow the script.
“Doing what I do best, giving everything I have, will be a story in itself.
“Canelo has been on my radar since I turned pro. Now is the time for me to shine.