The 18-year-old man accused of storming a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, on Saturday and killing 10 people and injuring three others, planned to continue his bloody rampage in the street before being arrested, announced the police.
Suspect Payton Gendron livestreamed the moment he opened fire in the parking lot of Tops Friendly Market around 2:30 p.m. and continued to fire inside the store while dressed in tactical gear, said the police.
He was eventually arrested at the scene.
The teen’s parents have cooperated with investigators, saying they are completely shocked that their son may have carried out the attack, a law enforcement official told NBC News.
While Gendron’s parents knew their son had purchased guns, they were unaware of any hate or rage issues, the official said.
Police are calling the attack a hate crime because 11 of the 13 people who were shot were black – and there could have been more victims had he not been arrested.
“It appeared that his plans were to get out of here and continue down Jefferson Avenue with the goal of shooting as many black people as he could and possibly going to another store,” the commissioner said. Buffalo Police, Joseph Gramaglia, on ABC. “Hello America.”
Police said at a news conference on Sunday that the suspect “reasoned the area and the store” before the shooting.
The suspect also appeared to be active in online gun communities and posted extremist views. Senior law enforcement officials have said they believe he wrote a 180-page “manifesto” posted online that cites a racist conspiracy theory frequently promoted by white supremacists.
The document claims the suspect chose Buffalo because it was the city with the most black people in its vicinity.
He was also investigated by New York State Police last year for making a threatening statement in June about wanting to carry out a shooting, a senior enforcement official said. laws.
The suspect was a minor at the time, the official said. He was taken to hospital for a mental health evaluation and has not been charged with a crime.
His parents had called the incident a typical bump in the road for a teenager and did not believe their son had violent tendencies, a law enforcement official said.
Parents said they support gun ownership and Second Amendment protections.
A gun used in the assault was purchased in Pennsylvania by his father as a gift for the suspect’s 16th birthday, a senior law enforcement official said.
Investigators from the FBI, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and local law enforcement are trying to uncover where the suspect allegedly purchased multiple 30-round cartridges, the law enforcement source said.
Speaking of that previous violent threat, Gramaglia said Sunday, “Nothing came up on State Police intelligence, nothing came up on FBI intelligence.”
Gramaglia said the supermarket attack was a hate crime.
“The evidence we have uncovered so far leaves no doubt that this is an absolute racist hate crime,” Gramaglia said. “It will be prosecuted as a hate crime. He is someone who has hatred in his heart, soul and mind.
Speaking at a vigil on Sunday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D.N.Y., spoke via video link and recalled how Tops’ grocery store “became a neighborhood hub and place to gathering”.
He called the grocery store an “indispensable oasis” in a food desert.
The victims were six women and four men between the ages of 32 and 86, officials said. A community leader and a retired Buffalo police officer were among the lives lost.
Several weapons were taken from the scene, with one appearing to bear ominous writing with “the word N written or engraved on it”, police sources said. A firearm also referred to repairs, according to photos of the weapons that a police source confirmed belonged to the suspect.
The assault rifle used in the attack was purchased legally in New York, a senior law enforcement official said. A hunting rifle and a shotgun were also found at the scene.
In addition to the firearms, the suspect had several 30-round magazines on him, the official said, which are illegal in New York state. It is not known where the suspect obtained the 30-round magazines.
Gendron, of Conklin, New York, was arraigned Saturday night in Buffalo court on one count of first-degree murder, the Erie County District Attorney’s Office said.
He was remanded in custody without bond and a felony hearing was scheduled for Thursday morning, according to the office.
Erie County Sheriff John Garcia said the suspect is on suicide watch and will receive mental health services if needed.
In a Twitter Statementthe FBI Field Office in Buffalo said it was working with local, state and federal authorities to investigate the deadly attack.
Saturday’s mass shooting triggered at least one copycat threat, authorities said.
A 52-year-old Buffalo man was arrested for allegedly making threatening calls to a local pizzeria and brewery on Sunday “referring to what happened at Topps,” Erie County Prosecutor John Flynn.
The man could face up to seven years behind bars for allegedly making a terrorist threat, the prosecutor said.
“That’s what’s going to happen if you make threats,” Flynn said Monday. “You’re going to get arrested and then I’m going to prosecute you. So let this case send a message to any badass or anyone who wants to be cute out there.”