The Circuit de Catalunya has one of the longest uninterrupted tracks of any current Grand Prix venue, having been on the calendar continuously since its first race in 1991.
The long-term future of the race had been uncertain in recent seasons due to the close involvement of local authorities and the need for the event to make financial sense.
F1 have stressed that the venue, which was built in the run-up to the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, will be modernized to accommodate more modern venues on the calendar.
A statement read: “We would like to thank the promoter and the authorities for their commitment and support and look forward to continuing to build our relationship in the years to come.
“As part of the new agreement, improvements to the track and facilities will be made ahead of the May 22, 2022 race, including upgrades and improvements in preparation for the circuit’s ambitious sustainability plans.”
“We are delighted to announce this agreement with the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya,” said Stefano Domenicali, CEO of F1.
“I would like to thank the promoter and the authorities for their enthusiasm and commitment to keep Formula 1 in Barcelona, with improvements to be made to the track and facilities, and to continue our long history together.
“Teams and drivers always look forward to racing on the circuit and visiting Barcelona, and Spanish fans will continue to see their national heroes, Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz up close.”
Roger Torrent, the Catalan Minister of Business and Labor and also president of the organization of the circuit, made it clear that the sustainability aspect was a key element in concluding the agreement.
“We welcome the renewal of this contract, which includes a mutual commitment clause to help us make Circuit Barcelona-Catalunya a model and a global benchmark of sustainability applied to this type of facilities,” Torrent said.
“We want the circuit to become an exponent of green transformation and the adaptation of infrastructure to the demands of the climate emergency.”
Jack Miller, Ducati team
Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images
New MotoGP agreement
The Spanish circuit also announced a new contract to host MotoGP on the site, but in alternation with other tracks in the Iberian Peninsula.
The new agreement covers until the 2026 season, the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya hosting at least two MotoGP events between 2023 and 2026.
“This contract renewal with the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya for five more seasons is, without a doubt, great news for MotoGP,” said Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta.
“The spectacular Catalan track has been linked to MotoGP since Dorna’s first debut and has been a key part of the calendar every season.
“This important agreement extending the collaboration until 2026 demonstrates, once again, the commitment shown to our Championship by the promoter.”