The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X has become the top choice for Sony’s PS3 emulator, RPCS3, as revealed by the developer’s CPU ranking list.
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X “Zen 4” CPU with AVX-512 support preferred for PlayStation 3 RPCS3 emulator
AMD’s latest processor outperforms the competition, including rival Intel. Also, RPCS3 got AVX-512 support just a few days ago, which we reported here. Luckily for the open-source emulator, AMD’s latest Zen 4 microarchitecture supports AVX-512 instructions.
In RPCS3, AVX-512 support gets a thirty percent performance boost, earning the new AMD Ryzen 9 7950X the most influential processor to help emulate the PS3 environment. The results showed that the AMD Zen 4’s single-threaded performance is crucial due to the processor outperforming Intel’s 11th Gen Core ‘Rocket Lake’ processors, as seen on this Reddit post.
The Sony PlayStation console is built on the Cell processor featuring a general-purpose Power core and eight SPEs, or Synergistic Processing Elements, which features an instruction set architecture with 128-bit SIMD organization and in-order execution that is the property of Sony Electronics. The Cell processor provided a direct equivalent and large file registers, supported by AVX-512 multi-core processors. Additionally, the LLVM compiler can choose the best code path for the compiler to execute, providing a thirty percent performance increase.
The feature of AMD Ryzen 7000 desktop processors:
- Up to 16 Zen 4 cores and 32 threads
- +29% performance improvement in single-threaded applications
- New Zen 4 processor cores (IPC / architectural improvements)
- Brand New TSMC 5nm Process Node with 6nm IOD
- 25% performance improvement per watt over. Zen 3
- > 35% overall performance improvement compared to. Zen 3
- ~13% instruction per clock (IPC) improvement over Zen 3
- Supported on AM5 platform with LGA1718 socket
- New X670E, X670, B650E, B650 motherboards
- Dual channel DDR5 memory support
- Up to native DDR5-5600 (JEDEC) speeds
- 28 PCIe lanes (CPU exclusive)
- TDP 105-120W (upper limit range ~170W)
Even though current PC hardware can emulate the Sony PS3 console, RPCS3 adds to the experience through AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution technology with increased frame rate.
While testing is still ongoing to compare the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X processor against the Intel Core i9-13900K processor, there is a lot of speculation that AMD will dominate the gaming emulation market with the help of AVX-support. 512, especially when showing a thirty percent increase in performance.
News sources: RPCS3, Reddit